Skip to content

Pilot Post – Sept 17, 2021

A Letter from Dr. Williams

Dear Families, 

Earlier this month, we sent out our first issue of Points of Interest, a monthly newsletter that connects experts in the fields of neuroscience, psychology, child development, and education to offer insights into a range of topics that affect learning.  The September issue was dedicated to the topic of neuroplasticity.  If you haven’t had a chance to read it, you can check it out here.  It was a joy to put together.  I find the intersection of neuroscience and education absolutely fascinating.  

I was delighted then to see this column released this week from the Hechinger Report, which details recent neuroscience research findings that link music instruction with improved language and reading skills.  I immediately shared the article with our amazing music therapist, Michael Richards, as it was wonderful scientific validation for some of the intuitive work we take on everyday.  It also provides a helpful framework for future programmatic decision-making.  In light of the article and the great conversations that ensued, this week’s student video focuses on the music program at Pilot.  We hope you enjoy listening to a few of our student musicians and hearing them discuss some of their favorite aspects of music instruction.

Further down in the newsletter, you’ll see some reminders for registering or RSVPing to upcoming events.  We have the Vaccination Clinic on September 20th and the Book Club happening next month.  As a reminder, we’ll be discussing Emily Oster’s most recent book, The Family Firm.  Most importantly, I look forward to seeing you all at Meet the Teachers Night next Thursday, September 23rd at 5:30 here at Pilot.  More information on all of those events is below.

Wishing you all a joyful weekend!

In partnership, 
Alli 

Join Our Mailing List

Be updated about our events, programs, and more!